Saturday, December 18, 2010

An Electronic Armageddon, What If

Well as you can see I am up late and I have to be at work early tomorrow.  However, when I get these thoughts that run through my head I am forced out of bed to write or lay there and toss and turn with them filtering through my head!  So, here I sit and put my thoughts out into the great Internet abyss for all to read and hopefully enjoy!  Hang on as this one will cause you to have to stop and think!  Are you ready?  Okay here we go.  As you can see by the title of this post it is a bit quirky to say the very least!  It may even have some scratching their heads and wondering where I am going with this.  So without further hesitation here we go.

Obviously we live in an electronic era where nearly every walking breathing human being has a cell phone, PDA or other device that allows them to connect with the Internet, social networking platforms or other forms of media that cause us to withdraw from having to deal with people directly and sort of an escape from reality if you will.

While I understand the importance of these devices in the world we live within what concerns me is that we have taken them from being tools to communicate with to allowing them to control our lives and have taken away the ability for many to be able to deal with people on an interpersonal level.  I want you for just a minute to imagine what it all cell phones, PCs, televisions and game consoles did not function for a week or so.  Can you imagine the mass chaos that would appear in individuals around the globe.  A majority of this would be from withdraw and not a matter of necessity.  Since I work for a company that deals with assisting people in replacing their electronic products or setting them up for service I, often times, get amused at how people nearly are on the brink of nervous breakdown when one of their personal devices or media outlets are not working correctly and they then realize that they will be forced to deal with people directly face to face and will not be able to put the kids in front of a television or game system to entertain them and more or less perform the parenting that should be provided by the individual themselves.

Do not misunderstand me by any means!  Some of these are some of the most awesome tools that God has given man to create and use to keep ourselves in contact with people, however, it is the abuse of them and almost an addictive sort of process that is associated to and with them.

Just imagine if FaceBook or Twitter was to go down for a year or more.  Can you see the rage that would be enveloped by people who would be forced into withdraws from let's say Farmville, Tweeting or watching their favorite music artist on YouTube.  Do you see what I am driving at here?  I enjoy many of these item's myself and use them as a way to broadcast my writings to the multitudes and stay in contact with various people in my life.  In the event that any of these were to be taken away tomorrow I have alternate ways to communicate with people and still possess the ability to communicate face to face and interact with humans on a personal level!

I have to admit that I get a little more than irritated when I watch or hear people who choose to use the modern inventions we enjoy as a way to replace social interaction that should exist between parents and children as a way to entertain them.

What ever happened to telling little Johnny or little Sally Sue to go outside and play and be a child?  We have allowed ourselves to become a victim of our self and it is apparent in the way our children our turning out!  Now don't get your panties in a snitch just yet.....

If you will take just a little time to watch and see for yourself you will see that what I am saying is correct!  When is the last time that many of you have taken time to sit down and just listen to what is going on in  your children's lives.  How many times I have heard kids say "if my parents would only listen" or "if they just would take the time" can you imagine some of the things we could fix if we would choose to have a greater level of involvement in our children's daily lives as opposed to pushing them into the computer, game system or allow the cell phone to become their personal advisers, babysitters and caretakers?  Sounds a bit harsh but you know I am right!  What if each of us had to return in time lets say 35 plus years or more and live in a life when a lot of the things we have now did not exist or if they did they were only for the elite and wealthy.

America it is time to wake up!  It is time for us to get back to some of the basics in life and start to realize what we are doing to our future generation.

Stand in agreement with me in prayer that each of us realize the importance of modern inventions but that we know how to limit them to what is important in our life.  Let us strive to spend more time mentoring our children instead of the electronic era and having to have them figure it out on their own!  It is time in our country that each of us either man or woman up and start to realize who is our future and to provide them with the strength and encouragement they need and that comes from us as parents not the electronic era that we live within.  You might just be surprised by the outcome you see from your children when you interact with them more and take a greater role within their lives.

No comments: